View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Flatinfifth

AA's for fishfinder

Here is what I know. Alkaline AA's put out 1.5 volts per cell. NiCd AA's put out 1.2 volts per cell. Assuming you are using NiCd batteries you will need 10 cells in order to have 12 volts. With alkaline batteries you only need 8 cells to arrive at 12 volts. I have not experimented with these cells yet but I can tell you that I tried a smaller sealed led acid battery of 800 mA rating and I can only get one 8 hr day out of it before it quits....that kinda sucks as I thought it would last a lot longer.

You can get more time out of the battery pack if you go to higher capacity batteries.....say C or D sized cells. They range in amp rating of 1200 to 2000 mA and that is big enough to get plenty of time out of the battery pack. You can find these battery packs at Radio Control Car outlets....try Hobby People/Hobby Shack to get an idea of cost, etc.

I think the added complexity of charging a NiCd or NiMh/LiPo pack is not worth it. Try to stay with a nice sealed lead acid battery and you will have unlimited, stress free voltage every day you go out on the water at a slight penalty in weight...about 2 lbs worth.

Flat
Flatinfifth is offline   Reply With Quote