View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

Newbee

mclanea...PM sent.
I'll check with the moderators...and if it's OK, I'll post a list of seminar venues for you newbees.

I agree 100% with what Sean said..."Dry run? why not catch some crab while you are practicing?"
Although you may have to use longer ropes for Crab (depending where in So. Cal. you are hooping) DAYTIME hooping for Crabs is a great way to gain confidence and learn how to use your gear. It's pretty intimidating to get out there in the dark at night for the first time with all that rope and floats and lights and all. Especially at the start of the season when its more crowded.

"When you pull them out of the net where are you keeping them? A buddy wants to try hoop and skin diving for bugs this season"
If you guys work together don't mix your Bugs... keep the two limits separate on each kayak. You can just throw the lobsters in the kayak hatch...although you and the warden could have a hell of a time getting them out to be checked...A dive bags works good (put them in tail first) a bucket with a top, or your live well is probably the best place to keep them fresh and alive.

"I just dont know how long they can keep or where to keep them until I get them into a boiling pot."
Keep them moist and cool and they will stay alive for a day or two.

"Also one forum recommends ripping the tails off and just keeping those in a bucket."
Whatever forum that is... please tell them that they are setting themselves up for a Very Big DFW Ticket ! !
29.90(e) states..."Spiny Lobsters shall be kept in a whole, measurable condition, until being prepared for immediate consumption."
IMHO...Unless your on the "DFW most wanted list" I think you should be safe once home, to "rip the tails off" and store them in your freezer.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote