View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
Fomen

I agree wholeheartedly! There are several fish that people consider to be "trash" that are under rated for their table fare. Bonito is one of them. Another is barracuda. You have to treat it just like the bonito. As soon as you catch it (if it's over 28" of course), bleed it. I typically go the murder scene route, and rip the gills. Then I'll make a cut down to the bone by the base of the tail. Fish have an artery that runs bow to stern, and near the base of the tail is where it's at it's most shallow. By bleeding from both ends, the job is quick and efficient. As soon as it's bled out, get it on ice (ASAP). For years I heard people tell me that barracuda was trash. Then one day I got into a mess of them- big LOGS! I was going to throw them back, and my buddy stopped me and told me to eat them. I told him, "I heard they are nasty", to which he replied, "Don't believe everything you hear. Don't knock it till you try it." I have to be honest, and some people on here might think I'm crazy- but I think it might be my favorite fish to eat. Barracuda fish tacos are AMAZING!!!!! It's moist, flaky, and delicious! If you're reading this, and you've never eaten a barracuda, the next time you catch a legal sized one, DO NOT throw it back. It has a bloodline just like tuna and YT. Bleed it, get it on ice, and cut out the dark meat when you fillet it. You will be pleasantly surprised at how delicious it is.
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote