View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
That looks like a well designed fishing kayak. And as good as Hobie's mirage drive is, this pdl looks small and simple. I like simply. Saw that Hobie has s system that gives their drive a reverse. And it looks like a complicated fix to an already complicated system.

Hobie has such a strong local following that this drive, like the propel drive, might have trouble gaining acceptance. I remember the generally negative reaction the mirage drive got when it was released.
Im stuck in time in 2008...back then there seemed to be a lot more paddle yaks in the water like my mini x or fish n dives. I like simple and portable...I pay for it in exertion. It surfs well too and almost impossible to pearl.

It's a workout going further south and back especially with fish...I still use a Crack of dawn paddle that's about a ton compared to what's out now. Years from now people will probably feel the same about todays hobies with all the rapid advancements in kayak tech.

Since I like simple the jackson kraken looked tempting...but after consecutive days of long paddling it will still take a toll.

The old town looks promising...along with quick reverse. This could come in handy on a big surf reverse reentry landing speeding in reverse then powering forward when a wave comes then reversing again...then pull up in 3 feet of water paddling backwards.

I'm told the old town drive also floats and the hull design looks like it will surf better than a pa hull.

Prop is supposed to be weed less and may be better than the other prop yaks that have been out. Skeptics say there will be issues with kelp but if you are flylining slow trolling if that's a problem your bait probably has kelp too.

I'll just have to test drive them all...would be nice to surf test them

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote