View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
greenscales
greenscales

If you know you are hooked, then invest.

Where I concur - I also welcome you to the kayak fishing community. I would emphasize the previous comment about the zippered waders - very handy on long days. I have paddle pants, and they aren't that great for fishing on a SOT, except for sun protection in warm water/hotter days. Water gets in the legs at launch or when you hang your legs over the side--no matter how good of a seal you seem to have between the booties and the pants. Definitely buying something that goes over the booties is key as well. I also agree w/layering for warmth and the ability to shed shirts underneath the top as weather/paddling conditions change, so make certain your outer shells aren't too tight to have inner clothing.

The Top. First go to OEX and check out the gear - support those that support the site. Remember most paddle gear has been designed for Whitewater or long distance touring, where the activities are more consistent. On the tops, things to consider - breath-ability in the neck. Dry tops for whitewater have taller & tighter gaskets that feel constrictive for what we do and doesn't allow any heat to escape while paddling. Unless you are planning on rolling your kayak a lot or taking multiple waves over your head, make sure the neck is somewhat loose and has a Velcro closure to tighten. However, I recommend the opposite for the wrists if you plan on pulling lobster nets or fishing long hours in cooler waters. If you do not have the tighter gaskets at the wrists, then water will often run down your sleeves from the paddle and definitely when you need to grab things below the water level. Wet sleeves on your inner clothing sucks after just a few hours when bugging on cold nights. Cool feature on two of my tops - waterproof zippers on the chest. They allow me to open them for airflow during the paddles, but are water tight. I also have one that is actually a jacket w/hood that I love when their is a heavy marine layer, even though it doesn't have the tight wrist closure. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...f-For-Men.html The inner waist gaskets aren't really a benefit w/waders - used for paddling pants or sit-inside kayaks w/white water gaskets. But you do want to use the waist belt on the waders, or flip the suspenders down to wrap around the waist instead.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Again, welcome to the sport.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote