View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
TCS

I've spoken to a few people that had the hobie evolve rudder mount and they loved it. One guy out there had his rudder handle come off after the installation of an evolve and had a long paddle back with no rudder. Not fun. Should be avoidable. Another dude with electric power downed a whole 12 pack on the water and I don't think he could have made it back to the beach without power! (no need to name names)

The version that goes into the mirage drive well might be better if you want to switch from peddling to electric and back because the motor on the rudder mount would create drag when peddling.

I think the issues with the mirage drive version is where to put your pedals when your not using them. I have an Adventure and the front hatch is hard to get to and not very large. I haven't tried getting my peddles in there, but I think it would be tight. Also, if you are just looking for a little help on a long uphill peddle home, the mirage well version would not allow you to do peddle and electric at the same time.

Hobie has outstanding support for any product defects related to hulls or mirage drives, so you would probably get better support from them than you would ordering from a catalog from another company.

Two other observations:
One:the evolve drivers do seem to have a silly grin that they can't quite suppress, so its probably fun.

Two:If you are getting into a boat budget and have the complexity of a boat in terms of maintenance and prep time, why not just buy a boat? Standing up to pee and having a dry butt sound pretty good sometimes.

My two cents
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote