View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

I currently have both and fish both. We got a PA14, and I must say, it's very nice. But I don't think I will sell my Kraken even if we get another Hobie.

First off, we used to have an OK prowler 15 and we loved that thing. It was hands down the best surfing boat I have ever used. My wife would shred that thing in 4-5' surf loaded with fishing gear. Its also the fastest boat we ever had. Our PA is like surfing a bathtub. Yes you can go 5 mph with the mirage drive, but if you sustain that stress on it for prolonged periods you are going to break it. 3-3.5 mph is more realistic for longevity of the machine. In my kraken i can maintain 4-5 mph pretty much all day, so it is faster. Granted, it is a harder physical workout to paddle than to peddle at any speed.

Let me ask you this, do you have the rudder on your trident? If so the drift is your friend. Without a rudder its hard to control. Fighting the fish with the rudder on a paddle kayak is the easiest I think, you can steer then boat with your feet and keep both hands on the rod. In the hobie you have to reach down to steer.

In terms of fishing (not actually fighting the fish) the hobie is like a whole different sport. Having propulsion and free hands is a game changer on so many levels. For example sonar fishing heavy iron, Im rolling around with the rod in my hand, bail open holding it w my thumb, and I can drop instantly on any marks. As he said chasing fish and trolling are much easier as well.

Full disclosure I've been fishing the PA mostly lately. But it's not the best in every scenario. I have a garage and a truck so loading it is super easy. I remember way back in the day the Darkhorse used to load his PA on the roof of his BMW. You can see it in the background of my profile picture hahaha.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote