View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #14
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Yes! I completely agree with this last part. I've never personally done "real" kayak fishing (not just taking a single rod out on a rental) on a kayak without pedals. But my friend that got me into kayak fishing that I go with all the time has an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. I have a Hobie Passport 12 with pedals. Every morning while we're cruising out of the harbor, I can easily get through the harbor while sipping my coffee and swapping rigs, etc. It's become a tradition where halfway through the harbor, I raise my coffee to my buddy and say "cheers!" while he is paddling away and he stops briefly to give me the finger. That in itself is nice enough. But also the fact I can can keep up with currents while fishing between kelp and structure is something I would not want to give up and outweighs any negatives associated with beach launching, etc.
Another point is that my buddy is constantly complaining that his Fish Finder always getting wet as he moves and paddles. Hasn't caused any issues for him yet since he has a hood on it now, but maybe something to consider.
There may be purists out there that will still choose a paddle over pedals, and I'd leave it to them to explain why they prefer it since I have next to no experience there. But for fishing purposes, I'll stick with my pedals! (I realize I'm new to the kayak world, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Chances are I'm wrong about a lot of things lol)
Thanks for the input. lol'd at the cheers part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I have both and fish both. The thing is, there's things I like about both. But NO KAYAK is perfect. Each has it's strong points. The reality is I find myself bitching and cursing more my Hobie Revo 13 than I ever do while using my Malibu X Factor. The fricking rudder won't keep the kayak tracking straight even with the sailing rudder without making constant corrections. Also at least a couple times per trip my braid will get caught on the rudder when drifting a mac. The mirage drive picks up eel grass and loose kelp, requiring removal of the drive to clear up. Can't really cut across heavy kelp when it's on the surface. It is slow turning and a wide turn without having forward speed. On my Malibu I can forward paddle one side and backwards on the other and make virtually turn on a dime. Keeping position with a current is not as easy as it sound on the Hobie because of wind and chop. It goes without saying the Hobie sucks trying to surf it in. When the surf is going to be higher or it's choppier I will alway take my Malibu X Factor. I use the Malibu to work out my upper body and the Hobie to work the legs except it's really not working all the leg muscle mostly the leg calfs and quads. The speed it about the same, very slight difference. The Hobies advantage is you can keep it up for a longer time. The price is where there is a HUGE difference that really makes no sense. It's kind of like my Mac Book Pro vs my Windows 10 computer. Bottom line is what ever makes you happy, It's about going out a having a GOOD time even on the days when the fishing SUCKS.
interesting and good info. This is some of the feedback i was interested in, guys who have both kinds of kayaks. I have actually been out with some buds and they had to pull the drives up because the kelp was so thick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Lots of good comments here. The most important one is that every aspect of each type you consider is going to have tradeoffs. Some are very obvious, and others very subtle. If drifting a few hundred yards is a big concern of yours, you may well want a pedal kayak (like others have mentioned for fishing rockfish spots). Make lists of the advantages and disadvantages of both that matter to you. Hint: prioritize by eliminating the things you can't live with first (take the stress out).

For me personally, I would not give up a couple of things that my particular kayak line provides me. First would be storage. You would be hard pressed to find someone that carries more crap (below deck) with them than me. Even then, I can still add multiple of any fish I might want to store inside. Second would be surf launching, landing and riding. I can't tell you the last time I timed a launch or landing. If you have not tried surfing your kayak yet, you owe it to yourself to do so before you decide. Your best new expression will be "Did that just happen?".

And contrary to popular opinion, you can eat and drink while underway on a paddle kayak. You just can't have grip-lock on your sandwich or drink. A missed paddle stroke or 2 will not stop you, or make you U-turn. Just like reaching for rudder control will not stop a pedal kayaker from eventually finishing their knot.
Good points, the storage of my trident 13 was fantastic, I could put all of my rods and everything else inside the hull for launching and then take them out once I was past the surf. I think I will have to give that luxury up if I switch to something with pedals, and I hadn't really considered that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I did forget to add what Greg brought up about the below deck storage. Other than front hatch access which I really don't like to have to open in the open ocean, there is very little below deck storage on my Hobie Revo. I have hard time just fiting my water proof bag with wallet, cell phone, etc. inside using the round hatch in front of me. My Malibu has several large access hatches to store items in suspended hatch liner bags, 1 in front of me and 1 behind my seat. My 2016 X Factor also has another hatch with sealed compartment that I have plumed as a bait tank, it is so easy to get to the bait. I can take out the suspended bag on the hatch in front of me and then I have access to the whole inside of the Kayak. I use this to put any large fish usually yellowtail in whatever numbers I get lucky enough to land. I have come in and landed through the surf with almost no change in handling while carrying 3 large yellowtail that in total weighed over 68 lbs, because they were under deck. On my Revo which has no space for any large fish under the deck, I have to use a Reliable Fish Kill Bag mounted on the bow and when coming in with a Yellowtail weighing over 37lbs it made coming in through the surf a sketchy ride because of the higher center of gravity.
thats an interesting take. I have heard about the shift in center of gravity being an issue but hadn't considered it as much but that makes sense. I have on numerous occasions stuffed a good sized insulated game bag in the hull thorugh my "rod pod" and it was easy to slip the fish into it and keeo the added weight inside the hull, if anything it may have made it even more stable at least while on the water as the center of gravity was lower. Kind of making me regret selling my trident now lol.

Thanks everyone for the input, it is really appreciated.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote