View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Sakana Seeker
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
With that gear, you are ready to haul in 100# bft ... the yt won't stand a snowball's chance in hell unless you drop that $$$$ accurate over the side and want to cry/never fish again

THe MXJ doesn't make enough drag to really fish 40#. It only does somethig like 9# max at strike. It is more of a 20-30# reel for people on boats who need line capacity at lighter line classes, whereas we can get away with itty bitty teeny tiny reels on kayaks. Fish it with 30# and set it to ~8# drag at strike, then you can give it a little more if you need it.

Some smart person on this forum snaps his sabiki to the ring on his ringed circle hook (use ringed hooks or learn to tie a kreh loop, btw) on his flyline rig, which is pretty darn clever. Just snap the sabiki off when the bait tank is full, et voila.
Well you are right. Although I’m hesitant to book an overnight or 2.5 day trip right now b/c of covid, these reels and rigs will hopefully accompany me one day on an offshore trip for BFT (the smaller variety), YFT, YT etc.

As for the price of the reel. Yes, it’s an older model but I know what I have possession of. I’m lucky that a good friend of mine is a 6-pack captain and he gave me this reel on a permanent loan.

Nonetheless, I always leash my rods and put floaters on them too! Can never be too sure!
Sakana Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote