View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana Seeker View Post
Hi All,
Getting my rigs together for targeting YT for the first time. Been trying to piece everything together and I think I’m getting close. I’m planning on being in SD end of Sept for a week with a couple of days of fishing out of LJ from my Revo 13. Would love to get your thoughts on what I’ve got so far. Thanks!

I have 2 set ups, one I’d like to use for fly-line/Carolina live bait and the other for yo-yos or surface iron (I know that many recommend that these are different set ups, but I have to go with what I have. I will probably rely on yo-yo over surface iron with this rig because its how i like to fish).

Rig 1 (irons/jigs)
Reel: Avet MXJ 6/4 2 speed lever-drag
Rod: Teramar 15-40
Line: Plan to use 65# braid (300 yds with 40# mono backing), Alberto knot to 40# (or lighter?) mono top shot of (how long?) with a direct tie to the soldered part of the ring on the iron.
Tackle: Salas 6x Jr (scrambled egg, mint/white), Colt sniper 100g Green Mackerel, Tandy 45s (mint/silver and chrome/blue)

Main question here: how long of a mono top shot and what weight? Mono or Fluoro? Also, when switching between jigs, do you just cut the line at the jig and re-tie to the next one? Or do you put a clip/snap between the leader and the jig? Any line twist issues without a swivel in-line?

Rig 2 (live bait fly line or Carolina)
Reel: Accurate Boss Magnum 870 (4:1 retrieve)
Rod: Teramar 20-50
Line: 65# braid to 30# mono (or Fluoro?) top shot of (how long?), tied via Alberto knot. SD Jam knot to hook.
Tackle: 2/0 or 4/0 ringed circle hook (or J-hook? Personally, I don’t like circles...).
Option: use a snap swivel and sliding sinker on the main braid to allow for a sabiki, and to be able to add weight to the sliding sinker for a Carolina-like setup. Reverse dropper also possible with this.
You won't get much 40# mono on top of 300 yards of 65# on that mxj in my experience with my mxj.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote