View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
ProfessorLongArms

Wanted to update this thread for a couple of reasons....

One - thanks mrJB for the sale yesterday. After 6 mos of being generally busy with life and not getting out fishing, I finally pulled the trigger on a used Scupper Pro.

Couldn't find anything that seemed to track as well under 60 pounds except a Prowler, and I was too curious to try surfing in one given how low as it sits in the water compared to a prowler or a trident. Given that it's going to be mostly for diving, the wet ride seems as much a feature as a bug.

At half the price of a used trident, I figured it would be fun to go as old school as possible. I'm stoked to not only have a dive platform, but also a fishing platform that isn't 90lbs with 100lbs of gear to boot.

Two- I thought some of you might find this cool as well. I went back and re-read the Summer 2018 Kayak Angler this morning... It has a really cool piece on Tim Neimer and how he started this whole thing with Ocean Kayaks back in the 70s in Malibu.

On this read, I noticed they mentioned two companies that have carried on the design of the original Scupper pro. Mind you, my biggest interest in the Scupper/Prowler has been the weight.

The first company is Swell Watercraft, https://swellwatercraft.com/product/scupper-14/ which is just meh to me because they weigh in at 70 pounds...

But this one... This is kind of fascinating (and maybe this is just news to me)- I didn't realize Tim Neimer was running this co, but they make a ScupPro that is pretty much the original but in three different materials... https://www.onwaterdesigns.com/shop
Granted, the lightest one is a carbon fiber composite and costs as much as a Pro Angler, but it's THIRTY POUNDS. I'm a bit curious about durability launching/landing in the rocks, but to me that's just amazing. Even the fiberglass composite at 38 pounds is pretty crazy.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote