View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #707
Wyota

My Contraption

Looking at all the ideas for battery boxes for fishfinders, I decided to build my own. I started with the math to figure out what size battery I needed for the time I needed on a fishfinder. I then looked at other accessories I might want to add. Livewell pump added more amperage need. Stern light for night ops added even more. bow lights If I so desired added even more. And finally, since I hoop net off the yak, those lights would require even more.

I started thinking of other accessories that could be added, and decided some sort of power distribution box and switches were called for. In order to be able to have any length of time with any heavy power accessories, I knew I might need a sizeable battery. The battery I settled on was a Duracell 14F2 14Ah AGM battery. Too big for any of the little Walmart boxes I see on here, and I didn't want to spend the money for a Pelican box just to cut holes in it.

I originally thought about putting the battery below decks (through the very small hatches mine has), and running switches through the skin of the yak. However, I didn't want to cut into the yak, and as we have 2 of these kayaks, it would be nice to be able to interchange my kit.

So, short story now long, a $5 Walmart Plano ammo box (has o ring lid), some switches, waterproof connectors, and a bus bar from Amazon, and now I have a portable power distribution box with switches that I can run up to 5 12v accessories off of, provided I put the correct plug on the end of the wires. I could even mount the FF to the top of it, but I probably won't as the box can be portable 12v power for a wide variety of things (I could even go to an outdoor party and run music, lights, and other things off the contraption.

Shown setting in Kayak well for size sake. When I actually take it out, it will be strapped down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1482 (480x640).jpg (35.9 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1484 (480x640).jpg (185.9 KB, 917 views)
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote