View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I am satisfied with both but will probably go back to the wet mount as I like to be able to tell the water temperature.

The beauty of the grease mount is its simplicity. If you make your own bracket it costs almost nothing and the transducer is easily removable, (although there is always the remaining grease to contend with).

As for your adhesive issues, I think you are going the wrong direction. Goop works fine if the plastic is properly prepared. I thoroughly sand the area where I want to attach something, wipe that area with alcohol and apply the goop. I make sure that the Goop extends at least a half inch outside the footprint of whatever I am trying to attach. I have only had one thing attached with Goop come loose and that was after taking an extended pounding in the surf that stressed every square inch of my yak as well as most of my old body.

I believe that you have a Hobie which uses the same plastic as mine. You should not have any problems with Goop but I am sure some other adhesives will work as well or maybe better.

The grease mount is probably best for those whose kayak hull is shaped is a way that does not allow for attaching a water well. With the grease mount, he bracket seal to the plastic only needs to be good enough to keep the grease from leaking out. Since this material is designed not to melt or flow, a pin hole leak or two is probably not a big deal.

Bob

I have the wet mount installed with goop. I was just under the impression that it failed on you. I put the wet mount in even before I used the Pro Angler. I'll just keep an eye on it and see how it fairs then. Thanks Bob.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote