View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
TheEngineering
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Awesome. If you are JUST hauling the one yak, don't use those J racks. They are a PITA and really not worth the cost. Haul the boat like this instead:

You are going to want to look for something under 80ish lbs. Car topping is a young mans game and only gets harder after a long days work paddling. It's also a lot harder to do when its breezy out (like almost every day in SoCal outside summer months.) This is also why I hate those J racks for single boat transport.

For storage, garage is always best but buy yourself a bottle of Aerospace protectant anyway. It helps condition and maintain the rotomolded plastic that most higherend yaks are made of. As for when its inside the garage, build a rack, or have the yak supported upside down or sideways on the gunwale(s). These are the strongest part of molded plastic boats.

Staying in the harbor and occasionally venturing outside the surf line, you can easily get away with a slower, more comfortable boat (which tend to also be less expensive.) Look at paddle boats that are in the 11.5' to 13.5' range and around 30" wide. Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Malibu, Native... all of these mfg's have great products that fit your need.

How big of a guy are you, if you dont mind me asking.....
So Basically I just need the crossbars and tie the kayak down facedown across the crossbars like you showed?

I am looking at the widerness tarpon, malibu X13, hobie mirage, 3 waters big fish 105, etc...

I am 5'9", 200 pounds (last i checked)
TheEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote