View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
FatAmy
Junior

Intro and Recommendations

I have been spearfishing in the SD area for the past few years. I have been looking to get a kayak to help extend my range and allow me to fish while going in between dive spots, or fish on days where getting in the water looks less fun than being on it. I am coming off a deployment in the next week or so, and I am looking to buy a kayak when I get back. My experience with kayaks is renting a kayak at Dana Point right before deployment and spearing off a Malibu Mini X. When I reentered I had all my gear on top, but not secured and dumped the kayak. After much swearing I realized I lost my fins, weight belt, and mask, but managed to save my gun. Even after that though, I managed to really enjoy paddling back in. So I think having my own kayak and managing not to lose my gear will make me enjoy kayak fishing that much more.

I think I have settled on a Wilderness System Radar 135. I want the option to add pedals at a later date and I think the ability for the seat to fold up and have a large deck for me to reenter from diving are ideal. The Radar 135 looks to also have an ample amount of primary stability if anyone can confirm that. I am looking at the package deal on the kayakfishingsupplies website, here:

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ishing-package

From what I understand this is the online store for OEX Mission Bay. I was wondering what recommendations people had outside of the package listed above. I was looking at upgrading to a Dragonfly Pro 5 in lieu of the Hook 2 4X. I already have all the spearfishing gear, and two 8ft rods, but that is it. Things that I can think of off the top of my head that I would want to also get would be an anchor system because I don't want to haul around the boat with me, a PFD, a hand held maritime radio, a Plano box for lure for the fishing rods, a gaff, a cooler bag to store fish, a dive flag and leashes for every piece of gear.

I have looked on spearboard, but wanted to reach out to local guys who can help me with the kayak fishing side. Appreciate any input.
FatAmy is offline   Reply With Quote