View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
FatAmy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
I guess I am the only diver using a peddle kayak! I know going with a peddle version is more expense but the biggest bonus to me is being able to cover more ground quicker.

The drive speeds things up getting to and from the dive spot, and I feel less drained when I get there. Also, when moving I tend to cruise the outer edge of the kelp and then pull everything up and head deeper in when I like what I see. So the drive doesn’t hinder me much there.

Drawback, storage is less available in the kayak, but I use the rear bungees to keep the large items down (fins, gun) and also leash them. Then I toss all of my smaller items in the front hatch, or in my lobster bag which is also leashed. Haven’t had any issues yet (I say while knocking on a massive piece of wood).

I started as a kayak fisherman, and then got into diving. I was tired of waiting for certain species (halibut) and figured shooting them would be easier and more satisfying. Only one of those turned out to be true...

Biggest bonus is being able to drink beer while heading back in

I’m in Carlsbad and always looking for dive buddies!
That is my exact reasoning for wanting to go peddle. It may eat up some of the storage room but getting to hit different spots and get their semi quickly is the goal. I am starting to look used now that I am back home to get something with peddles right away. Seems Hobies are the most popular down here in SoCal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
FatAmy is offline   Reply With Quote