View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #39
brew
I Exercise Fish

Woke up to fog the next morning.

Some artwork from the nighttime creepy crawlies.

I think I had a protein shake, an energy drink, and some other random stuff for breakfast. Also made a second layer of padding for my seat out of some closed cell sleeping pad foam. It worked pretty well too.

No showers down here and we were getting pretty crusty!

Today we headed South. Probably went a mile or so before we hit some of the gps spots we typed in the night before.

Right away Jeff on board with another new species. We didn't know what these were, but I have since figured out they are mangrove jacks.

Got one for myself

Corvina action shot

Mid morning we found a spot that was as wide open as I've ever seen. We were catching Jacks, Corvina, Pompano, And SBB every cast. We were all using different lures, and all getting bit. This lasted for about an hour until the water movement stopped. Even then it only took 3-4 casts to get one. The fish were all avaerage size, so I didn't get a lot of pics. We will all remember this spot for a long time. I also have the GPS coordinates for the highest bidder (j/k I will give them to MakoBob before the trip along with others for the turnoff, camp, etc)

A couple pics of the spot once the current had slowed.

We let the current lead us down and around the corner catching fish the whole way. This was definitely the best day I have ever had kayak fishing. Eventually we crossed to another island and it was full of frigates. I have never seen this many in one place, it must be a mating area or something. I'm not a birder, but got some good shots

Male and female

Stretched out

Ok back to fishing... it continued to be good.

A better size mangrove jack

We ended up finding a Chanel with some bigger corvina. I think this is my biggest of the trip. If so, it was 27"

Look closely... careful of those two (or three!) treble hook hardbaits. They don't mix well with green fish. We first had to cut the whole hook from the jig (already done before this pic), in order to stop the emergency of a flopping fish still on the other treble! Then pushed it through as far as possible in order to cut it below the barb and back it out.

Another nice one. Look at the size of that tail!

Searching for the next spot

We got back in around dark again and headed off to town for dinner with delirious, tired, happy grins.

We made some phone calls at the restaurant and had another great meal. The next morning we left north giving ourselves enough time to stop and fish one more day at whatever spot we chose.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote