Thread: Alaska
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

I've been to AK dozens of times, I have a brother(AK Nat Guard) and a sister up there...my mom was too until she passed away a few years back. I've worked as a deck hand on a drift boat on the Kenai and at the salamatof seafoods cannery.

I'm partial to the Kenai/Soldotna area for salmon, in 96 I caught the summer record King salmon(@ 16..although I didn't buy a derby ticket so there went a few grand D'Oh!). That fish is hanging on the wall at my dads house. The combat fishing is going to be a problem just about anywhere with an airport nearby, or anywhere with a reputation(like kenai for example, double whammy). However a good drift boat guide should be able to get you on the fish for relatively cheap, and they'll probably point you in the right direction if you want some secluded shore fishing where you can relax, after you've spent a day on their boat.

One thing you have to do is familiarize yourself with the regs for the time you plan to be there, down to the day of the week and the exact location you plan to fish. They don't mess around in AK when it comes to F&G regs...they will take your gear and vehicle if they can. They're nothing like the F&G we have down here.

Depending on what you're going to fish you'll need to plan the timing of your trip accordingly.

There's too much info to just give you all of it, if you have specific questions I'd be happy to try and help. Keep in mind I haven't been back since 06' (just before my mom passed) so I may not be up to date on some things...

Once you go to Alaska the memories will stick with you for the rest of your life, it's like nothing you've ever seen before.

BTW, if you like catching the "halibut" we have down here, you MUST get onto a halibut charter in Homer...it'll ruin CA halibut until you finally forget just how big the ones in AK are.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote