View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
My go to rod and reel for flyline, Phenix m1 inshore 15-45lb. Paired with a Penn Fathom 15. I have landed yellowtail to 40lbs. Lucky rod caught many fish on this setup never fails... (65lb spectra to the top around 200 yrd)-plenty.
It'd go Fathom, but where I'm redeeming my credit it's not an option. I really don't know how these corporate fulfillment centers work, but the options are limited. I'm not spending cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JOAQUIN View Post
The 15 size is great for the tasks you mention.

If possible, you might want to spring to the Fathom model as it is cast aluminum and a better all around reel compared to the squall.

The only thing i should mention is that when you step down to the 15 size is that you should also be looking at the large bait-casters like the Okuma Komodo 350/Daiwa Lexa 300/400, Shimano Curado 300 which make great 20lb reels and cast even easier than small conventionals.

Fun sizes that can handle some big fish with braid.

Good luck.
The big baitcaster is a good suggestion, but I have a Curado 300E. I also have a couple Abu Garcia C3s and a Lexa 100. I feel like I have a lot of the bass gear bases covered from spotties to XH applications (at least as far as swimbaits go). I was planning on using my C3 6500 for drifting bait for Halibut since it seems like even big halibut don't require gear that's too beefy. I'm not sure I really "need" a small star drag. =)
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote