7/18 LJ Kelped

Kelped Out.
0500 launch
1-3 ft
69 water temp
3 browns, 2 greens
slack tide / low tide
0900 landing

trolled up the line with a brown on the fly line, while throwing the surface iron and trying to make bait. Saw some birds working and a boil, I got there it was a seal lunch boxing a cuda or small yellow. Lost the brown, put on a big green.

got 3/4 up the line and made U turn. needed to get to work soon and it wasn't feeling fishy up there. Coming back down the line and hugging the kelp, it was a pick bite on the cudas with the iron. The cudas did well today. They fought back and played fair. Party boats and PBers closing in on the spot.

I'm a little deeper in the kelp now and I here a swirl, look back and see a very sizeable foot print on a stringer 10ft from me. I think about throwing the iron, then the Green goes bye-bye. YT picked it up and is making his run. I think to myself, "I can swing early and potentially misses this fish because the greenback is about 12+" long or I can let him eat it and hope I can pull him out of the kelp". Well, I chose option 2.

Let him run.. 20 count, reel down on it and we are hooked up. He made runs and we popped kelp. After about 5 stringers he got all waded up. I had most of my Fluro back, but could not see color. Worked it for 10 mins. Even let him free spool. It started moving out, but I buried it again. Made a few circles around the area to free my friend but the hook finally pulled.

Worked the area for a while longer. Cudas.

Get yer kelp cutters out.

Last edited by Afran; 07-18-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote