View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Flatfish View Post
The designer is Spira International out of Huntington Beach.
I thought it might be a 17' Kachemak.

I would love to get it but I have too many things to build right now, including two kayaks and a 21 pilot house that are in progress.

I can share some info on the skiff. The 17' Kachemak is a great little boat that is designed to be easy to build with standard materials you can buy from a lumber yard.

19' version of the same boat.

You build it from wood, coat it with epoxy and glass the outside with fibreglass. Basi8cally if you have basic carpentry skills and can put on a coat of paint you can build this boat.

Here's the free version of the plans so you can get an idea of how easy it is to build.

http://www.spirainternational.com/st...hemakStudy.pdf

He's already got the real plans with detailed drawings and dimensions ($70 online), and he's already built the hard stuff the frames.

Basically all someone has to do is buy the 5/8 ply cut it out to the dimensions laid out in the plans, attach it to the frames and this boat will be 90% done.

Carolina skiff are very seaworthy boats. I have a friend Brad that routinely takes his 19 foot Caolina skiff out to the Cortez bank, as well as to all the local islands.

This one has a V bottom added to keep it from pounding, it would be a great first boat building project and a fun skiff to fish locally.

I can't get it, but I'd say it's a great deal and it should be a great project for whoever does take it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote