View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 AM   #16
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Im about 5' 10" 215# and I would like a sit on top kayak.

A few that I have been looking at are the malibu stealth 12, the ocean kayak prowler 13 and T13, and the ocean kayak trident 13 and 15. I have been looking into some of the older hobie outbacks as well, but I really don't mind a paddle kayak and I would like light weight, as I will be transporting the yak on roof top mounts of my car, so loading will be tough with something over 80#.

Thanks in advance and tight lines.
My Stealth 14 is a BOAT.. I'm 6'1 220 lbs and I love it but it's a tank..12 is obviously smaller but design is still the same, def. cadillac compared to a mini cooper.. I love my x-13 from Malibu honestly.. I can smash right through the sets with quickness usually avoiding a yard sale, but the stability is sacrificed with the weight and size loss.. One drink too many, and or one butt cheek moved in the wrong direction and there you and all your stuff goes into the drink..It's def. not Walmart kayak stability status,, much more reliable, but the larger you get the more that is all compromised so a prowler or trident may be more suitable if you need training wheels so to say..

In regards to distance.. My boys have taken me 3 miles + off shore Malibu through 4-6 foot surf in that X-13, and I was able to paddle a steady upwards of 5 knots per hour in that baby, coming home with a stringer full of reds in the Gator Hatch so don't knock Malibu at all they make decent platforms for fishing..

Hope this helps, good luck with the search.. GO through OEX for a New Kayak and all modifications/additions.. Andy is good people, and will give the best prices and the most superb service...

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote