View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #15
greenscales
greenscales

To DSafety - Regarding nicks and brands

For the lighter line tests, I have always liked Power Pro. They seem to have the best weave pattern. In heavier test both Power Pro and Izorline seemed to be pretty good. Now that Shimano has Power Pro, I would watch to see some innovations in both the line and tackle-rod, reels, etc.

Spectra doesn't really fray worse than most co-polymers, it cuts faster against hard/rough items because it is both thinner and when tight, is not going to flex around the object. Good fluorocarbon has better abrasion resistance than either (Seaguar seems to have the best options and is the inventor of fluoro). BUT WATCH YOUR GUIDES WITH SPECTRA. If you have SiC or other inserts in your guides, a small nick will shred the fluoro faster than anything else. I ruined a kayak trip to the East Cape when I lost 3 Dodos to Spectra getting shredded on guide. The problem wouldn't occur until their was line pulled out under pressure, so it wasn't noticed while reeling in or casting, it would just cause problems when a fish pulled under drag. If you see a consistent problem, run a Q-Tip around all of your guides and look for cotton fibers sticking. The quickly replace that guide.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote