Thread: Mulege 4/14-5/6
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
'Cuda

Mulege 4/14-5/6

Caught a wide variety of inshore species...8-10lb spotted bass and yellow pargo were the highlights also red snapper, leather jacks, parrot fish, silver croaker, barred pargo and the ever present triggerfish.

Camped out for 7 days at the "old mine" on the other side of Point Concepcion. From the highway it's a 30 mile, 3hr 4wd road. Never saw another soul...got visited by a pack of wild dogs one night. There are 3 hot spots within a 15 min. paddle from camp. In the afternoons I would see tornadoes of birds 1/4 mile wide working the drop off about 2 miles out....all green jacks (Cortez bonito) pushing up the bait so not worth the paddle but a hot dorado spot in the summer.

The yellowtail were real picky...too much bait...3 trips to Chivato with no luck...saw lots of breezers but they weren't havin' it so after 12 paddles in 14 days, I hung 'em up and went out with Ken (owner of La Questa Real Hotel in Mulege) in his sport boat and we trolled these huge megabaits at 5mph on 50lb braided to 45ft and caught 5 tails and the amberjack in 2 trips.

'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote