Thread: Advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
bubblehide

Hooks

The size hook generally depends on the bait your using. Your on a 6 day, so I suspect that the boat will make bait at some point; but you'll likely be starting off with anchovies as off a week ago, that was all that has been available, with exception of some Macks. So, I'd take everything from a 2 to a 6/0, just to cover all my bases.

It's possible that you could fish as far down as Alijos rocks, but I wouldn't think they would run down that far on a 6 day, as they can find good fishing well before Alijos, and they'd burn 2 days/nights getting there and back.

Up to 65 pound Floro is fine, you shouldn't need anything heavier, except for trolling, and the boat will have trolling rigs; but you might want to bring your own pre-rigged troll jigs/lure's, with 100#. I am not sure if the wahoo are still within range of a 6 day, but you may want to bring some wahoo rigs, in case they are (a call in to the Vagabond just before the departure date should answer this)

Fish spectra with short tops shots of floro, not only because your likely to get bit more, but because if you don't everyone else will be, and you'll get cut off on a regular basis. Besides, in the long run, it's less expensive, as your only changing your top-shot.

Dont forget some cast-able jigs, like salas, tady, 6X Jr, mega baits... as the fish are also hitting the jigs well right now.

Best of luck!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote