View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
PapaDave

If the drift is in the 0.8-1.0 range I usually keep the kayak into the wind before setting the drift by slowly peddling into the wind. Or I will just use the side drift keeping the rudder hard to the left or right and keeping the peddles down. You can vary the angle and speeed by raising or lowering the peddles (not taking them out, just moving one peddle all the way forward) or by decreasing the angle of the rudder. Works real well once you get the hang of it. If the drift is faster I will use a drift chute to keep the nose pointed into the wind. I have an anchor also but only use the in the harbor or bays, not sure I want to use it in the open water, swells could be a big hazard there.

The steering on the PA can be a pain, you have to be moving for it to work. When you start moving keep the rudder straight for a few feet then turn. There seems to be a backwash when you start off with the rudder maxed to one side, the water forms an eddie that will cause you to go the opposite direction.

As mentioned before, you will get the hang of it, try to picture yourself in a big boat and how that responds to the steering and current.

Have fun