Thread: Blue Gill
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Wow...I feel like chit now, even though I am still trying to figure out where I lay in this conundrum...

So I am late in reporting this, and I did not have a fish finder, nor do I pedal a yak. Alas, I am guilty of not posting, not for fear of being chastised, and not for fear of if someone told me about the 'bite', which no one did. Figured it out by myself.

So, 2 weeks ago, oh wow...the bite was off the hook.

Late stroll, the lad wanted to get some ocean time in. While he was body surfing the nice kinds, I was catching perch...big boys, enough for a taco dinner. Incidental catches of corbs only stoked our fire, we ended up having not only fish tacos, corb ceviche as well.

So obviously we headed out the next day, but timed it better with the tides, and planned to stay at our "secret" spot later to time the tide.
Changed tactics to load up on our target fish for dinner, and were not disappointed...only got 1 perch, released, we focused on the right *kind* actually I was disappointed since I did not best Clay's biggest corb, mine came it at 20", short by 4" of his PB...so yes I was pissed, he still has bragging rights. But, I did catch 3, smallest being 17"...and, I outfished him, yes it DOES happen, though very infrequent...off to the local market for onions and limes, our garden provided us with the tomatoes, scallions, peppers, and we had the garlic...we always have the garlic...
epic dinner of ceviche with chips and nothing else, and we still could not finish our meal...

I know, I know, BS without pics...rest assured I have them.

Water temp - warm
Current - just right
Location - So Cal
Bait - sand crabs, but I'm not gonna tell you that the big boys didn't produce, the little ones with the iddy biddy egg sacks did, so don't ask, and I'm not gonna tell you what size hook or how many we put on the hook.
Talent - eh, so-so, couple fine specimens

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote