View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

we owe ya' all a quick status update...

Whadda day....

Crazy spam attack, as bad as I've seen it for 6 or so years I've been wrestling spam on public forum(s).

BWE averages 1-2 new registrations per day...
Last night only there was like 40+...

Spam bots fo' sho, but super sophisticated...
It looks like we stopped the new registrations as of 10 AM - I don't see 'em coming in. A couple of spam posts we had pop up through the day were from bot accounts that sneaked in prior to us putting the hammer down. we've been manually weeding 'em out. Mostly coming from ex Russia, plus Asia... Funny thing - they all paddle Cobra kayak... but that's just because it's the first on the list when registering.

I think we're good for the most part. The registration is still set on manual Admin approvals, but we'll be switching it back to auto mode if this continues to look good.

NOTE FOR ALL NEWLY REGISTERED ACCOUNTS - please bear with us, there may be a couple of hours delay up until your account gets manually approved.

Thank you all very much for reporting the spam posts, sorry about this crap popping up throughout the day.

We'll continue to keep an eye on it.
Fighting spam on the web is just never ending battle - we're movin' on, till they figure out the way around the latest bumps we put up.