Thread: Carlsbad Scare
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #24
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
Did not know you couldnt hook them but knew you can't catch and keep them. I'd much rather get a shark I can eat mako or thresher but seeing that white shark was awesome. He was smarter than I thought he would be. Wouldn't take a fresh yt head. Bloody or not. Is it legal to catch and release hammerheads?
Yes it's legal but I have no idea why someone would target them.

I've seen BIG things in Carlsbad and bet they were white sharks. I don't post about them unless I positively identified them. Hammerheads are everywhere right now. I had one rub on my kayak a couple of times yesterday in Lj. If you haven't seen a Hammerhead this summer then you're not fishing enough.
I posted about my very close encounter with a 13 foot GW last year.
If it was any closer to me I'd be in its belly. Scary.... YES! Awesome... YES! , once it swam away and I caught my breath LOL.
I feel truly lucky to see such creatures in their natural habitat. Most people will never see or encounter what we see.
As for big sharks in Carlsbad and LJ..... I'm more worried about the ones in Carlsbad. There isn't the abundance of seals here that there are LJ. Because of this I believe that the sharks in Lj can be more picky about what the decide to bite on. I wouldnt be surprised if a shark gets overly aggressive with a kayak in Carlsbad before it does in Lj.
One thing is for sure, I'd NEVER swim in Lj from the cove to the pier like they do. I think they are just testing fate or are just plain stupid.