View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
peguinpower
bing!

Test results:

The original gooped transom mount tx vs. the thru-hull tx, the thru-hull has about 100% better performance. The thru-hull tx versus my other kayak, with a purpose built shoot-thru-hull tx is better by about 30%.

That said, I would say that I may settle for a purpose built shoot-thru-hull installation with epoxy next time. Its a small sacrifice compared to drilling thru the hull Smile

I observed that I get arches on the screen as against having almost none before. I can track a 3/8 oz lead headed swimbait 100% of the time now. Previously, I could only see the heavier metal lures, and even those, intermittently. It was also interesting to see weaker signals, the most interesting of which was seeing an arch over the bottom reading. Halibut? Duhno. Nothing was biting today.

Secondly, the seal. I am not entirely sure if I have a leak. I used the 3M 5200 very sparingly. After 5 hours on the water, I drained the hull and came away with less than 1/4 cup water. On the water, I had a small puddle that you can slap with your hand, but that was all. Nothing a shamwow couldnt handle Smile Not enough to get a hand pump primed.

I am not sure if this was from the transducer or from constantly opening the center hatch to check for leaks. As any Hobie owner knows, opening the center hatch makes water on the hatch drip into the hull.

I will be doing more tests to check if I do have a leak.

Conclusion: I should do a static test in a pool or something, but sadly, I don't have that kind of time right now (the first sea trial lasted 5 hours).

If there is any conclusion to be had at this point, GOOPED transducers are short changing the user. There is more performance to be had with alternative installations.

Do I recommend a thru-the-hull TX installation. If I get a bone dry seal, I would say yes, but that remains to be seen.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote