View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sandydiego,

If you know the guys at Ridout Plastic see if you can score a piece of clear pipe that your cap will fit on. I know they sell it. That will be better than the ABS because you will always be able to see if there is water in the well.

As for attaching the plastic, (any kind) to your hull, marine goop works great. Just sand the area a bit and wipe with alcohol before putting the goop on the pipe.

Be careful not to use too much goop, especially on the inside of the well. Mine ended up flowing all over the hull inside the well. After everything set up, I had to carve the excess goop away as it had a bunch of bubbles.

I believe that the best way to install the pipe to make your well is to shape the bottom of the pipe so that it fits the contour of your hull as closely as possible. Put a bead of goop on the edge of pipe and set it in place. Put something on the top of the well, (like a book), which will apply a little downward pressure and let everything set up.

When the goop has cured, caulk the outside edge with a little more goop just to make sure that all gaps are filled. When that has cured, fill the well with water to check for leaks and you are done.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote