View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
walrus

Dsafety convinced me on the wet mount, but alas it was problematic geting a big enough pipe for a Lorance transponder and shaping it for the Malibu stealth hull.

Then I stumbled on a cheap easy solution. For $2.57 I bought a 1 1/4 inch terminal box. I made a paper template of the keel and trnsferred it to the ends of the terminal box. Holding the terminal box against a belt sander (coarse) at the angle I sanded, checked, sanded checked until thebox fit perfectly in the keel channel.

Next I mounted the transducer where the the bottom of sides terminal and the bottom of the trans duce are the same. Which makes the 60 degree transducer shoot thru the keel. Mounting was done by drilling a hole side to side in the terminal box and using a stainless steel thread bolt and nuts. A little marine goop it's water tight.

I' didn't take many pictures when creating this thing, but I'll take some more and explain what I did in more detail if any malibu people are interested. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictues while building.

A 1 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch reduce was cut in half for the top and rear opening to keep a low profile. in the rear a rubber cork had a hol drilled the diameter of the wire, split fro the side with a razor to get the wire in, gooped and pressed int the reducer. I added silcone around to ensure it was watertight (overkill). The front O addea a 3/4 inch to threated 1/2 inch reduce and screwed in a 1/2 plug. I add water and check the water here, so far no lost water. This works great and the sanding is easy with a belt sander as long as you keep checking as you go. All the pvc parts were glued together with pvc cement, but I added silcone around them (overkill).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S10.jpg (79.9 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg S9.jpg (72.5 KB, 400 views)
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote