View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
taggermike

I was out Sunday n did pretty well on the calicos. Preface this by saying I very rarely fish calicos, am not too skilled at it, and won't work hard at catching them.
After seeing the big counts on the calis I decided to bring a bait caster n a bag of plastics. I caught a yt on the out side and on the way in headed for the children's pool. (actually off boomers) I don't have a meter but if guess I was in 40' of water.saw some birds and a couple Cali boils. Started casting a 1/2 jig heads and a brown swim bait. Got bit about every cast. Landed maybe a dozen n headed in. I was ran thru the plastics cause the bass were so aggressive they were eating the swim baits out of the hooked fish's mouth. On 4 consecutive casts I landed bass with just the jig head in thier mouths. I'm not s light line guy in LJ cause I've hooked big yt while fishing for calis n small bonito n hot myass handed to me. I was using a 30 lb mono leader over 65 lb braid. Fish bit it fine.

So what it's worth, paddle toward the point until you get outside the reserve. Turn south and work between 20-40'. Like usual keep an eye out for birds. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote