View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #14
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Lost my favorite hat when I rolled in the surf once. It was a good no-name. In my embarrassment, I didn't realize my hat was missing until I was loaded up and driving away.

Damn. I hate losing favorite gear like that. I think it goes with kayak fishing.

Replaced it with an "Airflo" hat made by Tilley. Look it up. It's excellent quality and they are "Insured against loss; Guaranteed for life." Keep the model number from your purchase and they'll send you another one free, for basically the cost of postage. The quality is excellent. There's a velcro pocket on the inside top for your fishing license and margarita money. Chin strap design is good for tightening down in the wind.

I don't expect to have another roll in the waves, but who knows?

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm6-airflor.html

My normal size is 7 3/8. I bought a 7 1/2 and it's still a little tight. That may have been a fluke or a mislabeled single hat rather than the norm. For this reason, it's still better to try them on for fit so you can find one that's perfect before you buy.

If you're in San Diego, you can go to Village Hat Shop to try them on. I think the India St store is their main warehouse with the largest stock.

EDIT: terms of "insurance against loss" seems to be evolving. I think mine was for life, 100% with no deductible. My "Airflo" looks like it was the predecessor to some other hats that split off in that category. Read the details of the warranty for any hat you are considering buying. They may be tightening down on what was once an outstanding offer.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-11-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote