Thread: halibut rig
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Fiskadoro

Halibut on topwater Holy Cow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
and everyone still insists they just lay there and you have to bumb them to get them to bit. i've seen them hit top waters.
Really!!! I am constantly amazed at the quality information I see on the internet. Can you give us some hints of good topwater plugs for halibut?

I mean you got me here. I've caught Halibut on flies in the surf but they were wet flies not dry flies. What are we talking about zara spooks, Lunker Punkers, or hula poppers? I've caught plenty of fish local on topwater lures: Calico bass, Barracuda, Tuna, Yellowtail, even White seabass, but if you know a sure fire way to fish halibut on topwater Dude!!! Don't hold back inquiring minds want to know!!!

The vids great. It's an Atlantic Halibut similar to the kind of Pacific Halibut they catch in Alaska.

They caught it in Scandinavia up around the arctic circle along with a few bigger ones. That jig is not a imitation of a goldfish it's a imitation of a red rockfish. Atlantic halibut evidently feed mostly on rockfish, which is not surprising when you consider they live in the same depths around the same structures in those Northern latitudes.

Those type of big halibut are much more aggressive and get roughly eight times the size of our California Halibut.

Here's a nice vid of a bunch of small ones feeding on top.

I sure wish we had those fish local.

I'm sure those jigs would work great in Alaska, then again for those kinds of fish they mostly fish whole salmon heads for bait, not something that works down here.

I do wish I could buy those jigs local, as they also make one that's a great little halibut imitation, but I'd use them for Ling Cod, not butts in our waters.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that halibut only lie in the sand munching on sardines, or that they won't eat plugs. I've caught halibut on kinds of stuff: flies, minnow like plugs in the surf, krocodiles, megabaits, diamondjigs, Iron, various plastics, down rigged diving plugs like rapalas, weighted minnow type baits, bounce ball gear, etc etc etc..

Then again I've caught them on whole lizard fish, tomcod, and macks over a foot long. It's all about getting something in front of them that they will eat when they want to chew, and it's not always the same thing.

The reality is more of them are caught off the sand fishing small baits' like Sardines and anchovies then any other way, and the majority of mine have come off the bottom using gear that's rigged pretty similar to what ful-rac posted above. It's the go to rig for a reason, it works.

I wish we had big aggressive fish like that Atlantic halibut in the vid, that would chase down rockfish sized trolling lures, if we did I'd fish them. Hey and if you know where we can catch fish like that without driving to the Atlantic or up to the arctic circle, I mean like local, especially on topwater lures!!! Dude you're the FN Man!!! Spit out that info cause I'm all on it.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-04-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote