View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
kayakfisherman

Pandora's Box...

I owned a PA-14 for close to a year. I've been fishing from Cobra's
FishnDive for close to 10yrs prior.

This is my first time rendering my opinion(s):

Speed and Performance
The best. Acceleration, turning ability and the glide--just insane.

Going backwards??
You can't. So if you need to back up for any multitude of reasons,
forget it. You've got to make a big circle. And pray you can get back
to the spot if you didn't hit the MOB button.

Over the Kelp??
Kiss that one good bye.

Hands Off Steering??
I call BS. Your one hand has got to be on the steering handle all the
time. Otherwise people think your drunk or endlessly smoking pot
from all your zig-zagging. So tieing knots, eating, playing with the FF, etc,
you can do it, if you willing to zig zag.

Storage??
The worst. Such a huge kayak, such an expensive kayak, and no storage?
I've been camping on the islands off Baja with all my fishing gear, camping
gear and the kitchen sink stuffed inside my kayak.

I've been in the middle of a hot bite catching fish after fish stuffing them
inside my kayak in a matter of seconds. Since I didn't want to waste time
doing anything else beside fish. At the same time, my Hobie neighbors were begging for someone to help them tie up their one fish, behind them. Wasting
time, while they could be still fishing. (Of course I'm not talking about bass)

Here's another example of how the lack of storage can screw you: After catching a trophy my best fishing partner was busy roping, lassoing, hog tieing his yellowtail. Minutes pasted by. A seal noticed half the yellowtail hanging off the side and said to himself, "I must be back in SeaWorld." Grabbed the yellow and flipped the PA-14. Since the yellow was attached to a game clip which was attached to the kayak, hundreds of dollars of gear and one beautiful yellowtail went into the drink. (I won't let him live it down)

Seats with Arm Rests??
What?? I have to have the ability to sit side-saddle, especially when dealing
with bait. Try doing that with arm rests on your seats.

Where to put Trolling Rod Holders??
I need to troll when then pattern calls for it. The big flat black plastic things on the left and right sides of the kayak that are supposedly there to attach your scotty rod holders to, are way too flexible. I always troll with my rods in front of me since I need to see whether my bait or lure is fouled. But watching my rod bouncing up and down constantly drove my nuts. So I decided to do what Hobie Wade did, change the black plastic for thick wood. However, I couldn't remove the attachment screws and neither could the Hobie people since the attachment screw nuts were slipping and inaccessible. Thus, I couldn't have rod holders in front of me.

Bait Tank??
The worst. Yes, Hobie changed the cheap plastic switch shaft for a brass one, but still, the switch is inside the bait tank. Where it's constantly exposed to salt water air. And since the switch is inside the bait tank, you don't notice the corrosion going on--until one day, when you really need it, the switch won't work. That's why anyone who has the bait tank long enough, by passes the switch.

And what happens when your intake is clogged? Nightmare on the water, thats what.

Resonably priced bait tank? Like all Hobie accessories, overpriced.

Paddling??
What happens when the mirage drive fails 2 miles offshore? Paddle?? Or carry an extra mirage drive like Josh does.

Surf Launch??
I've been surfing for 30yrs. I would pray the surf wasn't over 1ft. Launching
or landing. I'd be on the water with a pit in my stomach worried about the surf. Such fun.

Flipping on the water??
You need to be big and strong to re flip a PA-14. Heaven help you if
you're by yourself.

Hobie Service??
I love this one. My kayak leaned to the left when I was sitting or peddling it.
At first I thought it was my FF battery since I put it on the left side near the front. So I put it on the right side. Still leaned to the left. So I took it back. Hobie dealer sat in it with a digital level. And declared, "yes it leans to the left 2degrees. But that's within manufacturers specs. Sorry." WTF??
Screw me once.

Traveling??
Are you Hercules??

Soft bottom??
Such an expensive kayak with cheap thin plastic bottom. You can't throw it
in the back of your pickup, cause the bottom deforms. You can't hang it
over the pick up gate cause you end up with a crease where it hangs over.
You can't lie it flat in your garage since the bottom deforms. Why can't Hobie
make a little less profit and put the money into a thicker plastic, especially on the bottom.

Excerise??
I've been paddling for 10yrs, and at 58 I've got a six pack. I lose 5lbs a day paddling and keep up with--in my FnD--a PA-14 all day long. It's great excerise and I would not trade it for the world.

Standing Up??
You better weigh less than 200lbs, otherwise it time to buy another
expensive Hobie attachment: the stand up bar.

Was I happy when I took a big lose and sold my PA-14??
Happier than a Gay Greek in the Army.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote