View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
I've been paddling for 10yrs, and at 58 I've got a six pack. ..
He ain't kidding!

True story. That picture was taken about 30 seconds before a fox mistakenly ran out of the woods toward Yani. He killed the fox with his bare hands, and made a delicious Greek soup out of it.

In regard to Hobie kayaks (and any other kayak), I think the best thing you can do is try before you buy. Every kayak has its pros and cons. Experiencing those pros and cons on the water, and figuring out what is important to you will help you make an informed decision about which kayak is the best for you.

I'm in a Hobie because for me, the one BIG benefit (Mirage Drive) outweighs any of the other things listed above. Most of the things listed in posts above are a non-issue for me, or are a result of having the Mirage Drive, so the choice to be in a Hobie was an easy one. Everyone has a different list of what is important to them. Sometimes Hobie come out on top as the best choice, occasionally it doesn't. Judging by the amount of guys in So Cal that started in a paddle kayak, and have ultimately ended up in a Hobie, I do think Hobie is doing something right.

OEX has demo kayaks from most major kayak manufacturers, is located right on the water, and they also host kayak demo days every once in a while. If you want to test out a few brands, I'd definitely go pay them a visit to try a few to figure out which is the best for you.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote