View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #18
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Man, I love Hobies. I miss my PA something fierce! (*hobie, if your listening, please send me a PA for Christmas!*)

surf launches?
yeah, it was tough at first. the PA is a big boat (for a single person, kinda small for two though). I had to get used to plowing through waves rather than going over them like in my X-factor. the way to do it is with the drive installed. many people advise against it but if you can time the sets right to where your launching in knee deep water, throw that drive in, hop in and peddle like hell!

Landing. its not the easiest. using my PA to run shark baits off the beach gave me A LOT of launching and landing practice in not so ideal conditions. A lot of night runs too. your not going to surf the PA like a Malibu or OK kayak, the best way I found in big surf is to come in backwards. you'll need your peddles AND paddle for this one.
when you make it just outside the break, turn so your rear is facing the beach and paddle backwards. when your inside the break and a wave is coming at you, stop paddling and peddle forward to keep in one spot, just before the wave hits peddle into it and push through the wave. Once on top or through the wave start paddling backwards again. once you make it closer to shore and your in about 4ft of water, pull the peddles and rudder. face into the oncoming waves and just keep straight as they push you towards shore.

The PA needs more storage. Like said before, you cant fit a 40lb fish in the hull. the storage box heats up and ice never stays frozen. the old seat was too low and my legs fell asleep, the vantage seat is difficult to jump in and out of. the paddle clip should be on the outside of the yak, not next to the seat, taking up more room.

not much wrong with them in my eyes, but they aren't perfect. the stability, weight capacity and ability to handle rough water makes up for most, if not all its faults.

I'm not here to persuade anyone into a Hobie. try different yaks, find what you like and have fun. that's what its all about. I had a lot of fun in my Malibu and Hobie. I caught a lot more fish in the Hobie because I took it out more often. Although that was probably due to the hobie being easier to load up and get on the water with.

Heres some pics of me and some friends having fun in our Hobies.