View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #321
FISH11

LA JOLLA 5-6-2021

Went out on my weekly trip to LJ as usual in search of Yellowtail. For months now planning what day to go has been more about the surf and wind forecast, as it keeps changing like a roller coaster. Last week while trolling the Nomad I hooked up and fought a nice Yellowtail for a short time and ended up loosing it because i got too careless and allowed slack on the line. Trying to regain line due to shallow (52') water depth and driving the Solo Skiff towards the fish. I looked at the video and realized I was way to relaxed and not just reeling in. The slack allowed the Yellowtail to toss the Nomad with it's head shakes. I still even have a nice reminder on my right thumb, were I tried to thumb the spool when it took off on one of the runs and the Avet drag was already on 3/4 full drag. For the last nine days I have a 3/8" x 1 1/2" strip of my thumb skin that good burned and shrunk. Man it hurt at the instant it happened. Never going to keep my thumb on the spool while fighting a large fish again. This trip unfortunately has no large fish hook up and never found great FF marks to drop a mac on, so while searching for good marks I trolled the Nomad and then drifted a mac later, but no fish other than some Calicos on the troll. Still a great day on the water because the SOLO SKIFF is so much more stable and I stay drier and don't have to spend extra energy fighting the currents or the wind when it comes up. Tight Lines.

Last edited by FISH11; 05-09-2021 at 08:05 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote