View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 06:53 AM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Re:SoCalEDC
Thanks for the info. Which SPJ reels did you select? and are you happy with them?
On the PE 2-4 set up I use an Accurate Tern 300x (Star drag, the x denotes the 6.1:1 Gears as opposed to the 4.8 in the non x model. The model I have is rated at a little over 38" of line per crank, and holds a claimed 330yds of 30# braid, although in reality it holds a bit more). I like this reel (initially I did not but after a service its great) but the knob sucks, I don't like Accurate's ball knobs because they get slippery. They recently announced some SPJ handles but they don't offer them for the 300 size reels yet. If you have cranked a big Tranx (400 or 500) or a Talica, they feel similar to how this reel cranks, almost feels hollow when you are cranking it. Fit and finish is a 9.5/10 there is one tiny imperfection in one of the chamfers on the case from machining, but its hardly noticeable and I may have only noticed it because I work in the fabrication/machining industry so I tend to be hyper critical of stuff like that.

On the PE 3-6 set up I use a Seigler SGN (Lever drag, 6:1 ratio on these guys and I have the long crank arm on it. Rated for 38"/crank It'll take about 400yds of 30.) I just got this in December and haven't had it out yet so I will have to report back, although, I have played with it quite a bit and I can say that I like the reel quite a bit in hand, its pretty smooth, but does not have the "hollow" feeling I mentioned above, I actually like the feel of cranking this reel better than those mentioned above because it feels like I am using a beefy piece of machinery if that makes sense. fit and finish is really like a 8/10 though. Everything is smooth, the tolerances are great, and the reel functions flawlessly from what I can tell, but there are tooling marks all over the thing. No burrs or sharp edges or anything but rather than finishing the frame and handle with some kind of polishing/buffing procedure or tumbling I think they go straight from finish machining to anodizing. Its not rough on the hands or anything like that but if you are expecting it to be as pretty as a Talica or a Saltiga don't get your hopes up. Then again its a 300 dollar reel not a 600 dollar reel and its 100% made in America so I don't know that its fair to expect that level of cosmetic refinement. Seigler is a pretty small company who machines everything in house, QC varies. I have another Seigler (SG), and it is nearly flawless, I think that kind of variance comes with the territory.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote