View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

It looks OK to me from now through Saturday, at least. We have had a "June Gloom" marine layer lately. It was a little too chilly for just a t-shirt when I went out a few days ago. Water temp was 64, which is pretty close to butt temperature. A hoodie would have been nice. I'm wearing my kayak pants and hoodie with my vest tomorrow at sunrise. That should be fine. The overcast marine layer has been along the coast. It's not wet or foggy --- just a low overcast. Bring your sunblock anyway.

Which forecast are you using? I am curious to check it myself for comparison to what I use.

Try this one, specific to La Jolla Shores launch area:

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...latest/six_day

If you like fishing, I would say to bring your kayak. If the weather is good, it's hard to kayak fish without one.

You can also check a live cam view of the launch area from the homepage of this site.

From now through Saturday morning, the forecast for waves is 1.5', which is easy. Wind is 5-10mph, which is also easy. Waves are forecast to start picking up from Saturday afternoon. I don't feel uncomfortable coming back in 3.5' waves. I like going out in nice weather, so if waves look like they'll be 3.5' or more, I think I would rather stay home and work on my cars, or garden, or drink beer or do something else.

This is where I go:

If you don't want to launch through the waves in La Jolla, you can also launch inside of Mission Bay at Dana Landing on any day. Play it by ear and paddle out according to your comfort level. Fishing in San Diego Bay is fun for kayak fishing too. Lots of variety there. Different tackle. No yellowtail in SD bay but you might get a nice halibut.

Welcome to San Diego

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote