View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos_raros View Post
I have a 12 volt 7 amp SLA battery and a Lowrance Elite HDI. The unit draws a fraction of an amp/hour, correct? last fall, same battery would last 4 hours on the bilge pump at 2.1 amps. it took a dump this winter! Maybe the cold room where I kept it??

so yesterday the battery only lasted 2 hours. I got home, charged it and the multimeter is reading 17 volts?? Busted multimeter??
You mentioned the FF and the bilge pump(are you referring to your bait pump), are you running both off the same battery? If so, I would suggest you stop and get a separate battery for each unit.........don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

If you decide to go with another SLA go with a 12v 12a for your FF, that'll keep it going for several hours but whatever you do NEVER EVER let it go completed dead.

Assuming that your bilge pump is exactly that and you are not referring to your bait tank pump as your bilge pump and you do not have a leak in your kayak that would cause the pump to run more often than not I would suggest you get a 12v 7a. However, if the bilge pump that you're talking about is your bait tank pump get a 6v 12a battery, a 12v battery isn't necessarily overkill for a bait tank pump but its definitely not necessary. If you ask around you'll find that most kayakers use 6v batteries on their bait tank pumps.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote