View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #52
fryguy

Warning - this will piss you off.

I don't mix work and play, but I love fishing, and this kills me. I have my own feelings about the MLPA, but this effort by the Coastkeeper is just plain dirty.

Just to give you an idea of the effort by Coastkeeper - they are going all in, and are intentionally recruiting uninformed people to sabotage the meeting. Here is a message that I recently recieved in my email. I've taken the liberty of omitting any identity information, so please don't ask me any questions about that.

Dear Teachers,
For those of you that do not know me, my name is *****. I am a senior This year I am **** Club Co-President along with ******.
As some of you may know, if you were approached by members of the *** Club, we were asked, by California Coast Keeper, to participate in a hearing about increasing the amount of marine reserves in the San Diego area. We are currently working on a short documentary, in support of developing these reserves, to present at the hearing. Additionally, *** Club was asked to spread the word about attending the hearing to the **** community.
The hearing will be on October 20th at the Sheritan Hotel on Arrow Rd. just off the 8. Coast Keeper has graciously offered to provide transportation, lunch and t-shirts for students and teachers who attend. Pick up would be around 9AM and hearing goes until 12PM. This is a great way to help protect our oceans from over fishing through showing our support for the new reserves.
**** Club, along with ***** will be attending the hearing and the more people who attend, the better. We are trying to get an accurate count of who will be attending this hearing by Thursday October 7th. If you would like to have your whole class attend the hearing that would be wonderful and the extra chaperons would be appreciated. Additionally, if you would like, students from **** Club can present to your class on the issue, allowing students to decide for themselves if they would like to attend, sending only a small percentage of your class. If you would not like your students to attend, it is understandable. If you have students that are planning to attend please have them find me or ***** for permission slips. Thank you for your time! If you have any questions, feel free to email me at *** or find me in school.

This drives me nuts. Trying to manipulate and use uninformed students for someone else's personal agenda is just plain wrong. I have a unique opportunity to address this issue head on, and any information that you can give, such as REAL evidence or reasons why not to support the MLPA, that I can present to my students would be a great help for our interests. Hell, I'm thinking about starting the KEEP SD FISHING club. Also, now that you know this is coming, it will be our fault for not being prepared. We should expect this at the meeting and prepare for it.

Dirty, dirty bastards.
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote