View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I don't thinks the T100 would help much .... You would need 6 of them to come close to the Torqueedo.

The thrust is pretty week:
t100 (Kickstarter)
Thrust (forward): 5.2 lbf

Torqueedo Ultralight 403
Thrust (forward) 33lbf
They have a T200 which is 10lbs of thrust. One should be sufficient if not two would be.
Plus 30lbs of thrust is not needed to get a kayak moving 4-5mph, as this website shows http://www.keelhauler.org/khcc/seakayak.htm to move a kayak roughly the size of a trident 15 it would only take 4.5lbs of thrust to move the kayak 4mph which is faster than most of us can sustain long distances on a paddel kayak anyways. By no means do I claim to be good at math but if my math serves me right average human sustained power output is around 300watts on a bike. Paddling is far less efficent, and the t200 max output is 260-300 watt which should just about match human output. Now the motors are vastly more efficient at lower power outputs so if you used two T200 thrusters assuming the power curve isabout the same as the graph for the T100, the t100 uses 40watts at 3lbs of thrust. The T200 should have double the output and if you use two T200 that would be around 80watts a motor with 6lbs thrust each so total of 160watts at 12lbs of thrust which should move your kayak and your buddy holding on behind you nicely with a max output of 20lbs thrust at 520-600watts.
So in theory it should work just fine with one T200 motor but I'll probably try with 2 just to keep the motors in there optimal efficiency range.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote