View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Freight First Option, Kayak Back

There's a Freight Option that can be utilized to open the trip to more people.

You can drop off your kayak at Avalon freight (San Pedro, parking is $17 / night) and it will show up at Avalon the next day (the fee is $33.50 ea.way, the freight travels at night). When you drop it off, you can take the ferry over ($35) and spend the night at Avalon ($25), pack up your camp and pick up your yak in the am. Then paddle over to the boat in "primitive" site ($25 a night/pp) and meet up with the other yakkers. This adds an extra day because you have to wait for your kayak. Then on the return "downhill" (wind at your back) trip, it would be an easier paddle back. You could also freight your kayak back, but you would have to wait the next day to pick it up. I'm sure there's also an option to do this at Two Harbors as well.

This was going to be my first idea, but the the extra day to wait for the kayak, extended the trip too long. Also, the Freighter, operates M-F only (it drops off at Avalon on Saturdays, I'm sure they could be convinced to take some yaks back) and doesn't operate on Sundays - extending the trip on the back end as well.

Planning for a stretch of good weather and making a "run" for it seemed the easiest and most exciting way to go. Also you cut the cost of the ferry and freight.

But for those who want to join but may not be able to make the crossing, this is an option.

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote