View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
jacksonbigtuna
Junior

I rigged up a minnkota 55lb thrust then a 35lb for one year on my jacksonbigtuna. The problem is stored energy. Lead acid batteries are heavy. If you want to run the trolling motor for 6-8 hours a day for a full morning of fishing, you'll need a lot of battery. I ended up lugging around two batteries. Pretty lame. The only good thing is that the equipment was cheap.

On the other hand, the lighter batteries.....lithium ion.... are expensive and still don't store a lot of energy. I think they have about 5 times the energy density than a lead acid battery. Seems like a lot and would probably suffice for a whole day of fishing, but they are sooo expensive.

I don't think there will be an inexpensive option coming down the pipeline. Unless of course lithium batteries get cheaper and even lighter...

I ended up getting a tandem island and a used 2 stroke for 200 dollars to use for trolling. Gasoline has about 50 times the energy density than batteries. I use maybe a gallon of gas each time I go out.
jacksonbigtuna is offline   Reply With Quote