View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_9C1 View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I paddle a 13 foot two person kayak (I think it was bought at Costco years ago). I sit in the back for better control.
I have never tried to land in the surf and happened to start thinking about it when I landed in Newport by the Coast Guard station and there was little ankle slappers on the beach. I lost my land legs and when I get out of the kayak stumble miserably for a few seconds and then grabbed for my kayak. It is already turned sideways parallel to the waves and washing back and forth as the waves lap up. I couldn't even imagine trying to do this in 2 or 3 foot waves.

I am an engineer so I started thinking of what would simplify the process. Something to keep the kayak straight so it doesn't tip over and in one place while I get my land legs was first on my mind.

I will definitely need to just go to the beach and practice in order to get the confidence to take my yak full of gear out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
you sound like me, I had both my knees replaced in the last couple of years and it takes me awhile to get my feet under me. I have the same problem at the coast guard beach but it is getting better. It's what keeps me away from La Jolla