View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Mission Bay HOW, 5-19-18

Mitchell, George, Charles, and I launched at about 7:30 (I think) to cloudy skies and a south wind. Water was not cold (didn't bring the FF) and stained. Started off right in front of the launch (the little bay on Santa Clara right before OEX's parking lot) and I got a short spottie. We moved out a bit and worked towards OEX. I kept getting bit and we kept drifting the point. By about 8:30 I had 5 shorts and Charles had a few too. The wind kicked up a bit more and the drifts got a little fast. The bite slowed for me, but kept on for Charles. By 11 when we started working our way back, both Charles and I had 7.

For Charles the ticket was a 4" swimbait on a 1/2oz chartreuse jighead. Never did figure out the color he was throwing. I was throwing underspins with various 3" and 4" swimbaits. Never did find that one color, but a 3.8" BPS Speed Shad in salt and pepper did well.

Don't feel too bad for George though. He had fun and was more interested in paddling anyways. Mitchell was mostly throwing his new poppers, which as we all know, spotties don't eat poppers.

Finished the morning off with some pizza and good conversation. I was on the road by 1:30 and home by 4:00. Only traffic I had was getting back to the freeway, but other than that, no slow downs. For next week, Steve and I are talking about Newport.