View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
blitzburgh

Newport morning sesh before the game 10/26/14

Since my Steelers didn’t play until 1:30p this day I thought I would squeeze in a few hours at Newport. All I wanted to do was scrape up some Rockfish for tacos during the game and make a bunch of Macs for the bugs. There was a severe surf warning showing on my phone but when I got out there it was beautiful. Met a dude otw named Andy and told him about this great community. Other than him, no one out there. Just the morning boats making bait and heading out to Catalina. Started knocking out the first goal, got into some pretty decent bottom fishing. Found a bunch goats amongst the rockfish. Released some smaller models and kept a few.

fficeffice" />>>
>>
Most of the better fish this day were clobbering the heavy glow iron. And to think I just tied it on to switch things up. I was using a technique to get the goats to bite where I would carefully sweep the iron along the bottom trying to avoid catching the reefs. I think that action is what got this guy to jump on it in 165’ of h2o.

>>
>>
>>
>>
It was a good 5 – 7 minute fight getting him to gaff. Not sure on the weight, hopefully the flat-kin pros here can offer a guess. My guess was somewhere near 30? He was solid and definitely my PB Butt. Taped out to 36” L and a little over 3” thick.

The day was great and couldn’t possibly have been better… and then…
>>

GO STILLERS!!!