View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

So be warned the Drones are coming...

So I've been hearing rumors that there has been a surveillance drone patrolling Santa Monica Bay. Today someone I know got me some pics of it.

From the looks of it that appears to be a Hydronalix Drone that is set up for surveillance. Hydronalix was working with the LA county lifeguards to develop a rescue drone but they have now branched into into a new series of drones for gathering information.

It looks very similar to their Hurricaine tracking drones which can travel up to 18 mph and spend up to eight days on the water under power before it has to come in for refueling.

You don't have to be a genius to see where this is going.

Where the Hurricane drone (above) is for research and the rescue drone is made for saving swimmers I'd say the purpose of that camo colored drone with it's camouflage coloration and large camera has got to be for law enforcement and surveillance.

I looked around and could not find any info on the camo drone or what it's being used for but the Hydronalix website says they have successfully tested drones at the marine sanctuaries up at the channel islands, so I'd say it's a safe bet to say that they are most likely going to be used for MLPA enforcement.

It only makes sense if you think about it. The camera can clearly record who you are and what you are doing, and the tracking information can give them your location. It can patrol day and night for a week straight and all the officers have to do is take shifts at their desks and play with a joystick.

So you heard it here first the drones are coming to the reserves near you.

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote